Can My Spouse and I Claim Our Son on Separate Returns?

Dr Friday Tax Tips - One Minute Moment
Dr. Friday Tax Tips
Can My Spouse and I Claim Our Son on Separate Returns?

Dr. Friday 0:00
Good day. I’m Dr. Friday president of Dr. Friday’s tax and financial firm. To get more info go to This is a one minute moment.

Dr. Friday 0:12
A question I received says, “My spouse and I are married filing separately, we both contribute to support our son. Can we both claim him as a dependent on our separate returns?” Again, a great question, but I don’t know how we’re going to split a child. So it doesn’t quite work that way. You’re going to have to be whoever gave more support. If the child since you’re married filing separately, it may just come down to the law says whoever has the highest income is supposed to claim them because the IRS doesn’t want you to take the most benefit from the higher versus the lower. You need to make sure you have a tax expert help you with that, and you can do that by calling me at 615-367-0819.

Announcer 0:52
You can catch the Dr. Friday call-in show live every Saturday afternoon from 2 pm to 3 pm right here on 99.7 WTN.