Claiming Your College Student on Taxes: What You Need to Know

Dr Friday Tax Tips - One Minute Moment
Dr. Friday Tax Tips
Claiming Your College Student on Taxes: What You Need to Know

In this one-minute moment with Dr. Friday, delve into the complexities of claiming your unmarried college-going child on your tax return. Factors like the child’s income, your financial support, and their student status can influence your eligibility for college credits. Tune in to understand the nuances and ensure you’re making the most of your tax benefits.


G’day, I’m Dr. Friday, president of Dr. Friday’s tax and financial firm. To get more info go to This is a one-minute moment.

Should you be claiming your unmarried child that is in college on your tax return? And you know these questions are great, sometimes not something I can easily answer because it depends how much money did that unmarried child make in college? Are you supporting that person? And are they full-time students or part-time students? These are important questions because there is quite a bit of college credits available to you, assuming your income is in the brackets that would actually allow you to have it. If you need help determining should you or should you not be claiming your college student, you need to give us a call at 615-367-0819.

You can catch the Dr. Friday Call-In Show live every Saturday afternoon from two to three p.m. right here on 99.7 WTN.