Injured Spouse: Should My Spouse and I File Separately?

Dr Friday Tax Tips - One Minute Moment
Dr. Friday Tax Tips
Injured Spouse: Should My Spouse and I File Separately?

Dr. Friday 0:00
Good day. I’m Dr. Friday, President of Dr. Friday’s Tax and Financial firm. To get more info go to This is a one-minute moment.

Dr. Friday 0:12
Injured or innocent spouses. Married couples typically file joint returns. The good news is that they usually get a better tax rate and qualify for nicer credits. The bad news is, is that the taxpayer can find themselves significantly impacted by their spouse’s financial problems, meaning maybe you’re married to someone that has, guess what? IRS debt or back child support. Those are the huge ones that we run into. And the question is, do you or should you be filing separate returns? Or can you file for an injured or innocent spouse? These are big questions, and they put a lot of money in your pocket. If you need help, all you have to do is give me a call at 615-367-0819.

Announcer 0:51
You can catch the Dr. Friday call-in show live every Saturday afternoon from 2 pm to 3 pm on 99.7 WTN.